Sediments in the urban harbors often exhibit elevated levels of PCBs bioaccumulation, limiting their suitability for beneficial use or placement in aquatic sites. Amendment of dredged material in the bioactive zone with activated carbon has the potential to provide bioaccumulation control, permitting expanded use of aquatic placement where CDF capacity is being exhausted. Prior to this study, an application of activated carbon in a conventional mechanical dredging operation has never been demonstrated in a navigation dredging project.
- Fact Sheet
- ERDC Technical Notes
- Schroeder, P.R., D.R. Felt, B. W. McComas. IN PRESS. Examination of activated carbon losses during open water placement of amended dredged material for bioaccumulation control ERDC TN-DOER-XXX. Vicksburg, MS: US Army Engineer Research and Development Center.
- Schroeder, P.R., Felt, D.R., and McComas, R. IN PRESS. Effects of Activated Carbon Dosage for Aquatic Bioaccumulation Control in Dredged Material, ERDC TN-DOER-XXX. Vicksburg, MS: US Army Engineer Research and Development Center.
- Schroeder, P. R., B. W. McComas. Effects of activated carbon dosage for aquatic bioaccumulation control. Proceedings of the Tenth (10th) International Conference on the Remediation and Management of Contaminated Sediments, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, February 11-14, 2019.
- Schroeder, P. R. and B. W. McComas. Treatment – expanding dredged material management alternatives. Proceedings of the Western Dredging Association Dredging Summit & Expo ’19, Chicago, Illinois, USA, June 4-7, 2019.
- Schroeder, P. R. Bioaccumulation control at open water placement sites by dredged material amendment with activated carbon. Webinar presentation for the Dredging Operations Technical Support Webinar series, July 17, 2019.
- Webinar (PDF)
- Schroeder, P. R., M. G. Channell, C. E. Ruiz, B. W. McComas, C. C. Carrillo. Bioaccumulation control demonstration at Ashtabula open water placement site. Proceedings of the Ninth (9th) International Conference on the Remediation and Management of Contaminated Sediments, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA, January 9-12, 2017.
- Schroeder, P. R., M. G. Channell, C. E. Ruiz, B. W. McComas, C. C. Carrillo. “Open water placement demonstration of amended dredged material for bioaccumulation control,” Proceedings of the Twenty-First World Dredging Congress, WODCON XXI, Miami, Florida, USA, June 13-17, 2016.
- Proceedings Paper (PDF)